2 Corinthians 8:7
But just as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us—see that you also excel in this grace of giving.
I'm so in awe of this journey so far that God has got me on and the people I get to live this life with! 10-15 years ago the thought of going on a mission trip never crossed my mind. Having been a supporter of this specific trip for the past couple of years I know what it means to really believe in a mission and to truly pray for the mission. I know first hand that contributing money for someone else to go has planted a seed in my heart that one day would send me as well. Getting the opportunity to actually go now means just that much more to me because I feel like I've been a part of this team for years in one way or another. Now that I am going I know when people say they can't contribute financially but will pray for us how that it is THE most powerful contribution we receive.
Just a few days ago I turned 40! I have everything that I could ever want or need. Even when times are tight we have our daily provisions and are more blessed then most of the world. When I put my yes on the table for the mission trip I immediately knew I wanted to throw a fundraiser birthday party “No Gifts Please”! We did a Latin theme with salsa music and Latin food. I got to tell a room full of my friends and family about what God is going to be doing on this mission trip. I had a hard time with the idea of fund-raising at first. I felt if I couldn't just write a check then I probably shouldn't be going. I was told that fund-raising has a deeper purpose than just getting the money – and after talking to people about the trip and watching that seed get planted in their heart I understood. It's another way to share the Gospel and to “go and make disciples”. I could actually see the light shining behind several peoples eyes when they said that one day they want to go on a mission trip too! Acts 20:35 says “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” That may be true, but I'm feeling very grateful and blessed by the prayers and generosity of our extended team members, our friends.
Thank you and God Bless.
Acts 20:22-24
And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment