Even the weather here changes so rapidly. I have noticed that about every 15 minutes I can expect a change in the slant of light...the clouds move and cover the sun, casting shadows. Then the sun will shine out from behind the clouds and shoot out beautiful rays that take our breath away.
Monday morning we awoke bright and early (5am!) and packed our backpacks for the adventure God was going to take us on. We met downstairs in the mission house for a devotional. We sang songs and prayed together, and prepared our hearts for what was ahead. As soon as our devotional time was over, we started the laborious process of loading the vehicles with all our luggage and backpacks, food for 35 people for three days, medical supplies for 3 clinics and also crates filled with flip flops for the children and the other supplies for them.
As we traveled in 5 suburbans to Lake Atitlan on Monday morning, we drove on all kinds of roads...open, straight highways, narrow crowded city streets packed with cars, tuk tuk's, buses, trucks, bikes, motorcycles, women carrying babies on their backs in slings and huge baskets on the tops of their heads. We passed men pushing carts uphill, men with piles of sticks tied together on their backs, loaded down with the weight. Always changing...the scenery too.
Then the roads began their winding trek up, up, up and then down, around, and down, down, down the lush green mountains as we approached the lake. I can't accurately describe the intensity of this drive...but this picture may give you an idea:)
Wherever we go, we caravan. The suburbans travel closely together and communicate by radio. I rather enjoyed leaning out of the red suburban down these long curvy downhill roads to get this shot! Talk about adventure!
Then...all of the sudden...the view exploded! The lake is so breathtaking. Photos don't even do it justice. But I will try!
No comments:
Post a Comment